Sentient – ‘having the power of perception by the senses’.
"Imagery makes an image"
Key Faculty :-
- Imagination is what makes an image meaningful, enabling us to interpret and make sense of it, whether from a conventional perspective or from a original, depends on individuality, to think outside the confines of our present eternal reality, to consider memories of the past and possibilities for the future and to weigh alternatives against one another.
- Photography is a unique and creative medium of self expression. It is an art form requiring aesthetic sense as well as technical expertise. Now-a-days besides being a hobby for those who have an aptitude “Photography” has become a dream that can be pursued and made a profession.
- Sentient is an institute for professional photography based in Chennai, India. At Sentient, one can learn from the History to the latest Digital Technology in Photography. Sentient is poised to make you understand the art. Diploma and Certificate courses in Professional Photography are full time weekend courses. ONLINE courses are offered considering the comforts of students who wish to learn from their home. English, Tamil and Hindi are the medium of instructions.
- Photojournalism / documentary / people / street / fashion / modelling / portfolios / wedding / tabletop / product / advertising / branding / architecture / design / sports / macro / wildlife... whatever the fields or the areas of interest the candidate aims for, a specialized approach is provided by the Institute. The FEE structures are very nominal and you will be satisfied for what you learn at a very reasonable fee. Invest your valuable / hard earned money on equipment and not for just learning the art.
- Photography is a profession as an art. So keeping in mind the course’s syllabi are designed accordingly.
- If you have an aptitude and a desire to learn with a positive and a dedicated mind…we are here to bring out the art hidden in U. The talent and the creativity within U are required... and for learning the technical aspects WE are here at Sentient.
Lakshman Iyer - Founder & Director of Sentient
Total Experience in Photography 26 + years.
And many more untold stories behind - successes and failures too.
- I am not an Engineer or studied Agriculture and later become passion about Photography. I have grown with this art. Conceived, studied, experimented and roamed every nuke and lanes to practice. I have done a Certificate course in school level and later Diploma in Professional Photography from Padmashree award winner Late Mr. T. Kasinath, in New Delhi.
- Started my career with Dinamalar, a regional Tamil Daily in 1980s. Shifted to New Delhi and joined as a Photographer with National School of Drama (NSD), an autonomous organization by the Government of India in 1990s. Later, joined The Hindu to rejuvenate my passion on Photo-journalism / Documentary and my pictures also published in their magazines Frontline and Sportstar. Shifted again to Chennai (Madras) and worked for The Associated Press (AP) in 2002, an international news agency based in New York, US and served for several years.
- Pictures published almost all the medias in India and world-wide including National Geographic, Getty Images, New York Times, Washington Post, The Guardian, Discovery Channel online, MSNBC, , Yahoo news etc. Nearly 1000 pictures commissioned and awarded as APTOPIX by its group of Photo Editors in London, UK, a special Top Pictures released by AP world-wide. I request you to visit here to view around 1 Lac hits through google search. Worked as Deputy Editor (Photo) / Principal Photo Coordinator with Press Trust of India (PTI) in New Delhi, India.
- My 111 one-liner / photo-quotes on Photography edited and are published at PhotoQuotes.com - site full of photography quotes.
- My 365 pictures/days online photo exhibition titled ‘picture for 24 hours’ through facebook, a notable hit.
I am the Editor of the Visual series book, with full of images, ‘The Flag’
, published by Tarabooks, an international book publisher based in Chennai, India.
- Guest Lecturer at various Engineering Colleges.
- Jury for Photo contests.